The nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industries are an increasingly booming business, but as manufacturers increase productivity, they want to ensure that they’re doing so at a low cost without sacrificing high standards and efficiency. Cross-contamination is one of largest hurdles its makers must overcome, as it’s a messy situation that can plague the manufacturing process when dust from one material finds its way into another through the air or coming in contact with other processing tools, thus resulting in an unsanitary and possibly even dangerous product that they’d not be able to put on shelves for consumers.
To prevent cross-contamination from occurring, the situation must be resolved at the point of source in production. Industrial vacuum cleaners that can remove fine dust and powders are your best solution to this, but before you go about choosing just any industrial vacuum, there are several factors and benefits to consider when choosing the right vacuum for your nutraceutical or pharmaceutical job, be it for general housekeeping or processing:
- Opt for an industrial vacuum made with FDA-approved materials for sanitary collection, whether it be in its housing or hosing. This will allow for the reuse of collected residual dust without having to worry about the entrance of contaminants.
- Know your dust. Have your dust tested to see if it is combustible according to OSHA’s combustible dust initiative.
- The higher the CFM rating, the easier it will be for your machine to extract dust and powder
- Superior filtration will guarantee that your industrial vacuum can efficiently remove fine dusts and powders, preventing filter clogs and cutting down on costly filter replacements
- If the vacuum is to be used by multiple operators, choose a continuous duty vacuum, as their larger sized motors and constant operation will be necessary in an environment to reduce downtime and keep up with the demands of productivity
- Look for a vacuum that is portable yet powerful to allow for some level of flexibility as to where it can be stationed on the work floor at no expense to your vacuum’s performance
- Choose an industrial vacuum that boasts quiet operation to reduce any distractions and provided added comfort on the production floor for workers
- Prevent static build-up with a vacuum featuring fully-grounded housing and components
All of these points should taken into consideration what material exactly you are extracting alongside the size of your production, but in using this information, hopefully you will be able to make the right vacuum decision in increasing efficiency for your nutraceutical or pharmaceutical manufacturing facility. If you any have any questions, helpful tips or suggestions, sound off in the comments section below!